Sunday, April 20, 2008

Beautiful World Syndicate

Hello friends and listeners. The other day, in celebration of the mighty fine weather we've had here in Philadelphia, I decided to take a walk through the neighborhood. And since I hadn't gotten too much new music lately, I directed myself towards the Beautiful World Syndicate, on 48th and Pine.

Open for about a year now, the Beautiful World Syndicate is a record collector's paradise- they specialize in hard-to-find records and almost exclusively stock vinyl. Professional DJs and producers have been known to spend hundreds of dollars on a trip to the store (or the South Philly location, at Tasker and Passyunk). The guys who stock their records are very good at what they do, and even if the focus is a little narrow what the store lacks in breadth it more than makes up for in depth and quality. All the records are in superior condition, and the selection of jazz and soul records is comprehensive. 

On my recent trip I got three albums- Oliver Nelson's "Blues and the Abstract Truth," Jackie McLean's "Hipnosis," and Herbie Nichols' "Bethlehem Years." The last one is rare enough that I couldn't find a picture on the internet, but I got it in VG++ condition for $5- the going rate online is closer to $20. The fellow behind the counter (in all my trips there, I've only seen one guy) is quite helpful and will play any record you want to hear before you buy it. I could turn this into a record review (all the albums were stellar), but you should just go on over and find your own.

Save yourself some money, enjoy a nice walk, support a great local business, and get some sweet new tunes. And tell 'em WQHS sent you.

No comments: